Anyone who lives in Singapore knows we do not have local produce for cheese. What’s available in the local supermarkets are brands that caters to the general public. So when a Turkish friend gave me a block of Ezine feta cheese made of full cream cow milk which he ordered and shipped from Turkey, I was estatic! The feta cheese has a very creamy texture, and since I had it covered well, it lasted in my fridge for about 2 weeks. This creamy Turkish feta cheese salad with sunny side up egg and olive toast recipe calls for fresh green vegetable base, add on superfood avocado, tomatoes, onions, dressed with my go-to salad dressing of all time (EVOOOSP – stands for extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper), free range fried egg and olive country bread. It makes a full wholesome dinner, fills the tummy pretty well without feeling like I have overate.
So this day, when mum brought me fresh romaine lettuce, and with some leftover purple onions, cherry tomatoes, and avocado, I had the perfect ingredients for a yummilicious salad. As you know, romaine lettuce has less than 10 calories per cup. Even though it’s low in fibre, it’s pretty high in minerals, such as calcium, phosphorous, magnesium, and potassium. It’s also naturally low in sodium. Not to mention, romaine lettuce is packed with vitamin C, vitamin K, and folate, and a good source of beta carotene, which converts into vitamin A in the body. For feta cheese lovers, do check out my other recipe Spinach with toasted almond and feta cheese salad.
Superfood avocado is a great source of monounsaturated fat and vitamin E, albeit pretty high in calories due to the high fat content, according to this article. So if you are watching your weight or counting your calories, it’s worth considering limiting the number of avocado consumption per week. I know it’s sometimes very difficult to resist avocados. I’ve made it into milkshake, ice-cream (super yummy), salads, guacamole, and even cookies! This fruit is super versatile!
Creamy Turkish feta cheese salad with sunny side up egg and olive toast
- 2 cups romaine lettuce soaked, drained and cut into chunks
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes soaked, drained and cut into halves
- ½ cup purple onion peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 large avocado peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 free range egg
- 1 slice olive country bread
- ⅔ cup Ezine feta cheese broken into bite size crumbs
- 3 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp Himalayan sea
- 2 tsp black pepper freshly crushed
- Fry the free range egg in extra virgin olive oil, then sprinkle with a pinch of black pepper and salt for some flavouring.
- Toast the bread until it’s slightly crunchy.
- Assemble the vegetables and cheese on the bowl.
- Drizzle extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Layer on with the egg and add the bread on the side
- Serve and enjoy!