What do you do when you finish work quite late (at home working for the tenth month now due to Covid-19), and have not been marketing much and wanted something healthy for dinner? I was lucky I have some fresh avocados, left over salad arugula greens, one tomato that’s almost close to expiry, lots of cheese in my cheese drawer, and some left over almond nuts. So here’s my Avocado salad with beetroot, feta, fresh greens & almond, hard boiled egg, dressed with the simple extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper and fresh lemon juice.
The thing about avocado, it’s misleading. My avocados look really dark and soft to the touch. But many times I cut them apart only to regret doing that too early as the green flesh is too hard to the bite. According to this website, if the avocado yields to firm gentle pressure you know it’s ripe and ready-to-eat. However I have also learnt that I need to place the avocados outside the fridge on the open table top for a good 3-4 days, making sure the dark green skin turns much darker, soften when pressed, and then store it in the vegetable chiller for up to 1 to 2 weeks, it’s definitely good enough to consume.
While all ingredients in this salad recipe is really healthy, beetroot is another superfood to boost of as it’s believed that beets and beetroot juice can improve athletic performance, reduce blood pressure, and increase blood flow. There are also studies that suggest that certain compounds in beets can disrupt the cancerous mutations of cells.
Well, I have always been an advocate of healthy eating, more so especially these times during the Covid-19 pandemic. If you like this Avocado salad with beetroot, feta, fresh greens & almond, check out my other salad recipes here.
Avocado & beetroot salad with feta cheese, fresh greens, egg and almond
- 1 Big avocado peeled & cut into bite sized chunks
- 1 Vine tomato washed & cut into bite sized chunks
- 1/2 cup Toasted almonds
- 100 g Arugula washed & drained
- 1 Hard boiled egg cut into bite sized chunks
- 4 Beetroots cut into bite sized chunks
- 1/2 Lemon juice freshed squeezed
- 3 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp Black pepper freshly crushed
- Assemble all the washed and cut vegetables, egg and almond into a big salad bowl
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper into the salad mix
- Mix well & serve