This Tomato Egg post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer.
In the hustle and bustle of my daily life, I always ask myself, how do I make more time so I can focus on getting my work done before the deadline, do some exercises to keep fit and cook some meals to avoid eating out. I work from home and skip the 2-hour commute back and fro, and the 1 hour each time I need to get ready before going to office. That’s 3 hours in total and man! I can do a lot of things with that time! Spending less time cooking meals is another one and it’s really not difficult cook quick, easy and nutritious dishes that can be put together within 15 minutes. This 15-Minute Tomato Egg Stir-Fry is a regular staple in many Asian households. It’s protein-rich, simple, cheap, full of vibrant flavours and really convenient – it can be whipped up in just 15 minutes.
This Chinese style dish is basically a tangy, flavourful, slighly spicy (if you add more white pepper powder and chilli oil) stir fry of ripe tomatoes and eggs (just as the name described), spring onion and basic seasonings. I love eating it with just steamed plain white rice. But you can eat it with noodles, over toasts or even on its own.
It is a testament to the fact that delicious healthy meals don’t have to be time-consuming. With minimal effort, you can easily cook up a delicious, nutrient-packed dish that satisfies your taste buds and fits into your busy schedule.
Ingredients to make tomato egg stir-fry
- Eggs – use as many eggs as you like, I am trying to consume more protein as part of my fitness routine so I used 3 eggs in this recipe. You can also opt to use egg white instead of egg yolks.
- Tomato – I used 1 big ripe tomato but you can also opt to use cherry tomatoes, it will not compromise on taste.
- Spring onion – the white part is used as aromatics that I sauté with the oil, while the green part is used as garnish.
- Seasonings such as salt, white pepper powder and mirin. For the white pepper powder, I find the one from Sarawak (East Malaysia) really unique and aromatic.
- Shallot oil – is optional. You can use vegetable cooking oil or olive oil. Using shallot oil make the dish more aromatic.
Watch how to cook Tomato Egg Stir-Fry on YouTube
Pin now, cook later
Tomato Egg 15-Minute Stir-Fry Recipe (番茄炒蛋)
Ingredients for the tomato
Ingredients for the egg
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp white pepper powder
- 2-3 eggs
- 2 tbsp shallot oil
- Chilli oil optional
- Dice 1 big tomato into cubes.1 big tomato
- Chop off the roots of 1 spring onion.Slice the white part of the spring onion and set aside.Then slice the green part to use as garnish.1 spring onion
- Warm 1 tbsp shallot oil in a non-stick pan over medium-low heat. Sauté the white part of the spring onion until aromatic.1 tbsp shallot oil
- Add the tomatoes, and stir fry until softened.
- Add 1/8 tsp salt1/8 tsp white pepper powder, 2 tbsp mirin for seasoning. Then simmer over reduced heat for 1 minute. Remove from heat and set aside.1/8 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp white pepper powder, 2 tbsp mirin
- Beat 2-3 eggs together with 1/8 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp white pepper powder.1/8 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp white pepper powder, 2-3 eggs
- Warm 2 tbsp shallot oil in the same non-stick pan over medium-low heat. Add beaten eggs and swirl around the pan.2 tbsp shallot oil
- Pushing the side to the centre to let the egg liquid flow over the pan and cook. Cook until 80%.
- Add tomatoes to the egg and mix gently.
- Turn off heat when the eggs are cooked.
- Garnish with spring onion.
- Drizzle some Chilli oil, optionally.Chilli oil
- Best served warm with steamed white fragrant rice.