Spiced apple cake drizzled with salted caramel might sound complex to make, this is actually one of the easiest recipe that can be made without any special technique nor equipment, just like my coconut bundt cake with dark chocolate ganache. This moist and delicious apple spice cake is full of all the perfect fall flavors I love. Drizzled with creamy salted caramel, the saltiness is a great contrast to the sweetness from the caramel and the tartness of the green apples in the cake. The cake is so soft tender and moist, it’s the perfect dessert to serve after a hearty dinner or during snack time with a warm cup of tea or coffee. This is also the perfect cake to serve at Thanksgiving and Christmas feasts, such as this Yule log cake.
The ingredients are divided into wet and dry ingredients. Wet ingredients are all mixed together, then sifted in with the dry ingredients and mix into a smooth batter, all with just a whisk! It filled my kitchen and home with an intoxicating vanilla apple buttery aroma that’s almost like a natural scent for the home.
Tips for making this spiced apple cake with salted caramel
- Use home temperature butter and eggs.
- First mix the wet ingredients well. The oil might not mix very well with the yoghurt and other wet ingredients but just keep on stirring with a whisk, the ingredients will integrate very well.
- I used two large green apples, and cut them into cubes with skin on. For the last half of an apple, I sliced it into 2cm slices and used it to top onto the spice apple cake batter before baking.
- I used Greek yoghurt in the wet ingredients, it’s perfect alright to use normal yoghurt or even sour cream. These acidic ingredients react well with baking soda that helps leaven the cake.
- Grease the cake pan before pouring in the cake batter, it helps the cake to leave the mould easier. I lined the base and sides of the pan with greased baking paper which helped in the unmoulding.
- While the cake is being baked, you can use that time to make the salted caramel.
- The salted caramel solidifies when chilled in the fridge. So if you make it in advance, you can warm it over low heat to liquify it before drizzling it over the spiced apple cake. Personally, I prefer slightly warm caramel being drizzled over the cake.
- Use room temperature butter and cream for the butter and whipping cream.
- The amount of salt added to the salted caramel is just perfect to our taste. You can taste the caramel after adding one teaspoon and add on more if you prefer a more salty flavour. Just be careful that sugar is hot.
Watch how to make Spiced Apple Cake with Salted Caramel on YouTube
Pin now, bake later
Spiced Apple Cake with Salted Caramel
- 2 large green apples washed
- 1 tbsp Demerara unrefined cane sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
Cake wet ingredients
- 100 g Stevia sweetener
- 50 g Demerara unrefined cane sugar
- 100 ml vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 200 ml Greek yoghurt or plain yoghurt
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
Cake dry ingredients
- 300 g unbleached plain flour
- 1 ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp fine salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 100 g Demerara unrefined cane sugar
- 65 g unsalted butter room temperature, cubed
- 60 ml whipping cream room temperature
- 1 tsp fine salt
- Pre-heat oven to 200C / 392F (conventional oven) or 180C / 356F (convection oven).
- Grease a lined 8-inch cake pan with vegetable oil. Note: if you are using a non-stick cake pan, there is no need to grease.100 ml vegetable oil
Make the cake
- Wash and core 2 large green apples.Dice 1 and a half apple into 5cm cubes. These will be added to the cake batter.Thinly slice half apple into 2cm thickness. These will be used as decoration on top of the cake.2 large green apples
- Add 1 tsp cinnamon powder and 1 tbsp Demerara unrefined cane sugar to the diced apples and mix well.1 tsp cinnamon powder, 1 tbsp Demerara unrefined cane sugar
- Sift all the dry ingredients into a bowl.300 g unbleached plain flour, 1 1/4 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp fine salt, 1 tsp cinnamon powder, 1/4 tsp ground ginger, 1/4 tsp ground allspice, 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- In a separate large mixing bowl, combine all the wet ingredients.100 g Stevia sweetener, 50 g Demerara unrefined cane sugar, 2 large eggs, 200 ml Greek yoghurt, 1 tbsp vanilla extract, 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice, 100 ml vegetable oil
- Whisk all the wet ingredients until smooth batter. Note: it'll take a while of stirring to mix the oil and other wet ingredients into a smooth batter.
- Add in the sifted dry ingredients. Mix with a whisk until all dry and wet ingredients are well incorporated. Batter will be thick. Then add in the spiced diced apples and mix well.
- Transfer the batter into the cake pan. Use an angled spatula to level the cake. Decorate the cake with apple slices on top.
- Bake in pre-heat oven for 50-60 minutes at 200C / 392F (conventional oven) or 180C / 356F (convection oven).If the top of the cake is burnt during baking, cover with foil and continue baking.To test the doneness of the cake, firstly, insert a chopstick or skewer in the middle of the cake, if it comes out clean, it’s done. Secondly, gently press on the cake, if it bounces back, it’s done.
- Cool the apple cake in the cake pan on the cooling rack for about 30 minutes, then release from the cake pan.
Make the salted caramel
- Have all the ingredients pre-measured and on standby, as you will need to constantly stir.Add 100g Demerara unrefined cane sugar in a saucepan over medium-high heat and stir constantly with a wooden spoon. The cane sugar will gradually melt into an brown thick liquid. This takes about 5-6 minutes.100 g Demerara unrefined cane sugar
- Reduce heat to medium. Add 65g cubed unsalted butter. It will bubble up when the butter is added. Immediately use a whisk to mix the butter with the sugar mixture until the butter melts fully and the mixture is well incorporated. This takes about 2-3 minutes.65 g unsalted butter
- Add 60ml whipping cream gradually while whisking constantly, until well incorporated.60 ml whipping cream
- Once the mixture is well-mixed, add in 1 tsp fine salt. Let the mixture simmer for 30 seconds while stirring constantly, before removing it from the heat. Let it cool down before using it to drizzle over the cake. Note: you can do a taste test and add more salt if desired. The salted caramel will thicken when it cools down.1 tsp fine salt