In this collaboration with Sustenir, I’m using their Toscano Kale enriched with GABA (Gamma-aminobutyric acid) to make kale pesto spaghetti. The GABA component in the Sustenir Toscano kale is known for producing a calming effect, thus helping to relieve symptoms of anxiety and stress, as well as helping to improve sleep. This is a super quick and easy dish, the pesto can be made in advance and stored in the fridge. With the addition of lemon juice, salt and pepper as well as the cheese, the kale doesn’t taste bitter at all. I didn’t blend it into a smooth texture, in fact I prefer the coarse texture in this kale pesto pasta dish so I can actually taste the nuts and cheese in a bite.
Is kale considered a superfood?
Kale is considered a superfood as it is a great source of vitamins and minerals that are very beneficial for health. It’s low in calories, making it one of the most nutrient-dense food available. The leafy vegetable can be steamed, roasted, braised, stir fried, eaten raw, or even air fried (check out my air fryer kale chips that is super crispy and great as a snack). It helps improve heart health, skin health, weight loss, and protection against diseases. Albeit it being a superfood, those who are taking blood thinning or anti-coagulant drugs should avoid taking large amounts of kale as it might interfere with these drugs.
Simple ingredients in Kale Pesto Spaghetti recipe
The ingredients used in this kale pesto spaghetti recipe are very similar to that of a basil pesto. I used kale leaves with the hard stems removed, walnuts, extra virgin olive oil, fresh lemon juice, garlic, salt and black pepper. The walnuts can be replaced with pine nuts, hemp seeds or sunflower seeds. If you do not like too much garlic in the pesto, you can reduce the garlic by half. I used spaghetti in this kale pesto pasta recipe but feel free to use other pasta of your choice.
Like another pasta dish? Check out Spaghetti all’Amatriciana, Spaghetti with Pumpkin Cream, Pecorino & Crispy Guanciale, Spaghetti Carbonara, and Sardines pasta with a little spicy kick.
Watch how to make Kale Pesto Spaghetti on YouTube
Pin now, make later
- 1-2 servings spaghetti or pasta of your choice
- 1-2 tsp coarse salt for boiling pasta
- Water for boiling pasta
- Parmesan cheese grated, for serving
- 150 g kale after removing stems
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 2 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- ¼ tsp Himalayan salt freshly crushed
- ⅛ tsp black pepper freshly crushed
- 30 g parmesan cheese grated
- 125 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 60 g walnuts
- Blend all pesto ingredients well.Note: you can blend into a coarse mixture or a smoother one depending on your preference. Store the pesto in an airtight container in the fridge up to 7 days.150 g kale, 2 cloves garlic, 2 tbsp lemon juice, 1/4 tsp Himalayan salt, 1/8 tsp black pepper, 30 g parmesan cheese, 125 ml extra virgin olive oil, 60 g walnuts
- Boil a pot of water. Once boiled, add 1-2 servings of spaghetti or pasta of your choice with 1-2 tsp of coarse salt until al dente.1-2 servings spaghetti, 1-2 tsp coarse salt, Water
- Add 2 tbsp of kale pesto and 1 tbsp of pasta water to 1 serving of spaghetti or pasta and mix well. Top with parmesan cheese and serve immediately.Parmesan cheese