Ever since Uncle Roger did a review on a BBC Food egg fried rice video in 2020, there was a lot of hype on how to cook egg fried rice, the right Asian way. To my knowledge, the best egg fried rice will have each and every single grain of rice nicely coated with yellowish egg. It may sound simple and easy but really you need to be quick with the egg and ensure the temperature is right in order for the egg to coat each grain of rice evenly.
Ingredients for egg fried rice
This fried rice recipe uses only 3 basic ingredients: leftover basmati rice, egg, spring onion, aside from the cooking oil and seasoning.
The chefs in Chinese restaurants that serve great Chinese dishes typically uses a heavy metal wok and big flames when cooking, giving the ‘wok hey’, also known as the heat or the energy of the work, to give a particular fragrance or aroma that is produced in a dish when stir-frying. This is unfortunately not something that’s readily available at home so I just use a wider pan and bigger flames.
Cooking the rice on the stove is easy and quick. However you will need to monitor closely when the water starts boiling or bubbling and know when to turn the fire off. It will of course be easier to cook steamed rice using a rice cooker and might be worth the investment if you cook rice regularly.
Leftover rice is the best to use for fried rice. I usually store the rice in a container in the fridge the night before. Leftover rice is also not as soft compared to when it’s just cooked, thus ideal for stir fry.
If you like fried rice, do check out this vegetarian recipe Cauliflower fried rice.
Egg Fried Rice
- 2 cups cooked rice leftover rice is the best
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 small egg
- 1 stalk spring onion chopped finely
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Mince the garlic and chop spring onion finely1 clove garlic, 1 stalk spring onion
- Heat oil over low-medium fire3 tbsp cooking oil
- Saute garlic until fragrant
- Add rice and stir fry for a while (about 30 sec)2 cups cooked rice
- Make space in the pan to add the egg1 small egg
- Quickly break the egg up and make sure to coat the rice evenly with the egg. Stir fry until egg is cooked
- Add salt and pepper to tastesalt, pepper
- Add spring onion before serving it hot
This recipe breaks it out into really simple steps. Great one!
Thanks Jerry! Do try it out.