Recently I did a collaboration with Del Monte for their made-in-Japan canned sardines and whole kernel corn. I love fish and I love tacos so that’s a natural combination, topped with salsa made of corn, pineapple, tomatoes, purple onions, parsley and lime juice. The Del Monte canned sardines come with five flavours – sardines in miso sauce, sardines in lemon sauce, sardines in teriyaki sauce, sardines in tomato sauce, and sardines in chilli oil. The corn and pineapple salsa really complements the different flavoured sardines, my personal favourites are the sardines in chilli oil and sardines in miso sauce.
Here’s how to make it quick to dish up these tacos, whether it’s dinner for the family or snacks to chill with beer or some tequila.
- First make the salsa by combining the whole kernel corn, chopped tomatoes, pineapple, parsley (or coriander), purple onion, seasoned with salt, black pepper and fresh lime juice. I would make this ahead and leave it chilled in the fridge. The pineapple and tomatoes release juices so if you are chilling it in the fridge for more than a day, do drain off the liquid.
- Toast the mini tortillas over the frame or on a frying pan.
- Assemble the tacos by dishing out the sardines out of the cans, top of a few scoops of the corn and pineapple salsa and squeeze a fresh lime wedge for that extra tanginess.
I’d say that the sardines, regardless of the sauce it’s canned, taste really good with the salsa. There’s a good balance of sweet and tang. If you can take a bit of spiciness, feel free to add some jalapeño. I’d also always make a side of air fried kale chips, especially when we are going to enjoy this snack with beer.
It’s so simple and easy to put together a quick weekday dinner meal or weekend party snacks. Tacos are very versatile, other than fish tacos, I also love lamb tacos and beef tacos. There are two types of tacos commonly available – one that comes with a hard crunchy shell, and one that is made of a soft tortilla, my preference is the latter.
Pin now, cook later
Watch how to make fish tacos on YouTube
Fish Tacos with Corn and Pineapple Salsa
- 150 g whole kernel corn
- 80 g cherry tomatoes washed and chopped
- 80 g purple onion peeled and chopped
- 80 g pineapple peeled and chopped
- 10 g fresh parsley or cilantro washed and chopped
- 2-3 lime medium sized
- Salt season to taste
- Black pepper season to taste
- Tortillas or taco shells
- Canned sardines
- Wash and chop tomatoes and parsley. Peel and chop purple onion and pineapple. Cut lime into wedges.80 g cherry tomatoes, 80 g purple onion, 80 g pineapple, 10 g fresh parsley or cilantro, 2-3 lime
- Assemble in a big bowl, chopped tomatoes, parsley, purple onion, pineapple, corn. Squeeze juice from 1 lime and add to the salsa. Add salt and black pepper, season to taste.150 g whole kernel corn, 2-3 lime, Salt, Black pepper
- Mix well and chill in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Toast the soft tortilla shells over a small flame or on a frying pan until warm and slightly toasted.Tortillas
- Assemble the tacos by dishing out sardines onto the tortilla, topped with a few tablespoons of the corn and pineapple salsa. Garnish with additional parsley.Canned sardines
- Squeeze some juice from the lime and enjoy the tacos.
This recipe is shared with Fiesta Friday.