Creamy Chicken Stew is the perfect one-pot chicken casserole dish when all you need is to easily dish out something warm and comforting for your family. This wholesome dish pairs well with warm steamed rice, mashed potatoes, noodles and even toasty breads.
I got a new 28-inch non-stick Cosmic Cosmo pan which is the perfect size for cooking family meals and casserole dishes like this. The 6 chicken pieces fit perfectly in the pan without overcrowding, I also love that it’s non-stick and requires very little oil in the cooking.
Tips on cooking Creamy Chicken Stew
- Sear the chicken before finishing the cooking in the stew later. This means cooking the chicken in a hot pan on both sides to help lock in the moisture of the meat and create a nice crusty browning on the outside. Be sure to bring the chicken out from the fridge or freezer and bring it to room temperature, then rub it with salt and pepper before cooking.
- Use a meat thermometer to see if the meat is cooked, undercooked or overcooked. The right internal temperature for chicken should be 75°C / 167°F or slightly higher.
- Add herbs to enhance the flavour of the stew. I added dried oregano, bay leaves, fresh thyme and rosemary and the aromatic flavour is divine!
- Use chicken stock and white wine as the base of the stew, with some added cooking cream. The combination of these liquids and the added herbs yields a stew base that is full of sweet umami flavours.
- To thicken the stew, mix corn starch with the same amount of water and add it in the last step. Some recipes call for adding corn starch or flour while stir frying the aromatics (onion, garlic) in the beginning but I used the thickening method my family has always used, which is to add in the very last step after the ingredients are cooked and the flavours locked in.
- To store, place in an airtight container and you can freeze for up to a month, though such stews in my family usually wouldn’t last more than a day. When about to serve, simple thaw in the fridge and then reheat in the oven or on the stovetop.
Ingredients used in this Creamy Chicken Stew
- I used cherry tomatoes and spinach in this recipe but you can easily substitute the vegetables with mushrooms or other root vegetables.
- My mummy happened to buy some chicken drumsticks that are already deboned but with skin on, I thought that’s the perfect cut for this creamy chicken stew recipe. That said, you can use chicken breast, chicken leg or chicken thighs, as you wish.
- This recipe uses half a cup of cooking cream. I’ve tried in a another recipe to use coconut milk but I didn’t like the taste of it.
- For the stock, I happened to have some chicken bones to make chicken stock. You can use beef bone stock, vegetable stock, mushroom stock, pork bone stock, as you wish.
Watch my Creamy Chicken Stew recipe on YouTube
Like another chicken dish?
Save now on Pinterest and cook later
Creamy Chicken Stew
- 6 pcs chicken drumstick (or any other cut), bone removed, skin on
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- Salt season to taste
- Black pepper season to taste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary herbs
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme herbs
- 2 bay leaves
- 200 g cherry tomatoes washed & drained
- 100 g spinach washed & drained
- ½ cup cooking cream
- 1 cup white wine
- 10 g butter
- Parsley for garnishing
- 1 tbsp corn starch mixed with 1 tbsp water
- Rub some salt and crushed black pepper all over the chicken drumsticks, cover with clingwrap and leave aside for 30 minutes.6 pcs chicken drumstick, Salt, Black pepper
- Prepare the vegetables and aromatics: Wash and drain the cherry tomatoes and spinach. Cut cherry tomatoes into quarters. Peel and dice onion. Peel and crush garlic cloves.1 onion, 3 cloves garlic, 200 g cherry tomatoes, 100 g spinach
- In a non-stick deep pan, turn on medium low fire, add 10g butter. While the butter starts to sizzle, add chicken skin and sear each side for 4 minutes until browned. Remove and set aside.10 g butter, 6 pcs chicken drumstick
- In same pan, add onion and garlic and sauté until onion is caramelised.1 onion, 3 cloves garlic
- Add tomatoes and stir fry until softened. Then add spinach and stir fry until wilted.200 g cherry tomatoes, 100 g spinach
- Place chicken skin back into the pan, side up. Add chicken stock, white wine, dried oregano, bay leaves, rosemary and thyme. Stir to mix well.1 cup chicken stock, 1 tsp dried oregano, 3 sprigs fresh rosemary herbs, 3 sprigs fresh thyme herbs, 2 bay leaves, 1 cup white wine
- Cover with lid to bring to boil. Once boiled, remove lid, let it simmer for about 15 minutes until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 75°C / 167°F or slightly higher. Mine was 84°C.
- Add cooking cream and corn starch slurry (1 tbsp of corn starch mixed with 1 tbsp of water), simmer for another 3 minutes.1/2 cup cooking cream, 1 tbsp corn starch
- Add salt and crushed black pepper, season to taste.Salt, Black pepper
- Garnish with chopped parsley. Served warm with rice or mashed potatoes.Parsley