Whenever I need a quick dinner fix or I’m just too lazy to cook up a meal, I’ll always make this steamed cod fish with essence of chicken. I always have essence of chicken in my fridge as I love drinking it whenever I feel a little lethargic, it’s like a little pick-me-up. Every other week, I’ll buy some fresh or frozen cod fish (me and my family’s favourite fish) and one of the easiest and fool-proof way of cooking and savouring fish is to steam it on high heat, it takes less than 10 minutes and the fish turns out soft and juicy.
This post features a collaboration with New Moon Essence of Chicken with wolfberries, red dates and gingko, all the goodness in one 68ml bottle. The texture of this essence of chicken is rich and smooth, to my surprise, it’s not watery or diluted — PS: I’m not paid to say this but it’s true.
Some tips for cooking the steamed cod fish with essence of chicken
- Make sure the fish fillet is at room temperature, this is so that the fish can be cooked at an optimum temperature in the steamer, cold or semi-frozen fish will take longer to cook and you get the fish in a pool of melted water when cooked, not ideal.
- You can also use other types of fish, such as snapper, seabass, etc.
- Since I usually store the essence of chicken in the fridge (drinking chilled ones are really ‘shiok’), make sure to bring the bottle out of the fridge and bring it to room temperature. Otherwise the cold liquid will cool the cooked fish really fast, I love the fish to be really warm when eaten with rice.
- Ginger helps to reduce the fishy taste from the fish, thus placing some ginger slices on it when steaming helps. Alternatively you can also use spring onions.
- Once cooked, the fish will release some moisture, do not discard the liquid, it’s actually good to consume when mixed with the essence of chicken.
- Season the fish with either fish sauce or soy sauce, to your taste preference.
Watch how to cook steamed cod fish with essence of chicken on YouTube
Pin to save and cook later
Check out these other fish recipes
Thai styled steamed sea bass, also known as Pla Kapong Neung Manao (ปลากะพงนึ่งมะนาว), a steamed fish dish stuffed with lemongrass and topped with a flavourful broth made with freshly chopped chillies, garlic, cilantro, fresh lime juice, palm sugar and fish sauce.
Thai Fish Cake, also known as Tod Mun Pla or ทอดมันปลา. It is a delicious typical street food found commonly in on the streets in Thailand.
Steamed Cod Fish with Essence of Chicken in 15 Minutes (15分钟鸡精蒸鳕鱼)
- 200-300 g cod fish fillet or any other fish fillet, room temperature
- 80 g ginger
- 1 tsp fish sauce or soy sauce, season to taste
- 1 bottle essence of chicken room temperature
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 sprig parsley for garnish
- 1 chilli can be big or bird-eye chilli
- Water for steaming
- Peel and slice 8-10 slices of 80g ginger and set aside. Julienne the remaining ginger into thin strips. Julienne 1 chilli into thin strips.80 g ginger, 1 chilli
- Rinse the fish fillet and pat dry with a towel.200-300 g cod fish fillet, 1/2 tsp salt
- Place in a heat-proof dish large enough for the fish. lightly coat the fish with 1/2 tsp salt on both sides.
- Place 8-10 slices of ginger on the fish.
- Bring a pot of water in steamer pot to boil on high heat. Make sure the water does not touch the bottom of the steaming rack. Once boiled, place the fish fillet into the steamer pot, cover and let it steam on high heat for about 7-8 minutes until cooked.Water
- Meanwhile, warm 2 tbsp vegetable oil in a pan over medium heat. Then add the ginger strips and fry until crispy. Remove from pan and set aside.2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Once fish is cooked, remove the fish from the steamer. Note: the fish is cooked when the fish flakes easily when poked with a fork.
- Pour a bottle of essence of chicken and 1 tsp fish sauce (season to taste) over the fish.1 bottle essence of chicken, 1 tsp fish sauce
- Garnish with chilli strips and crispy ginger strips and parsley.Best served immediate with rice.1 sprig parsley