I love soup, both creamy and clear broths. I’ve made roasted pumpkin ginger soup, broccoli cheesy soup, and many different types of Chinese clear broth soups. I usually cook a bigger pot of it, then freeze it in batches and just warm a batch up for quick lunch over the next few days. This miso beetroot soup is one of those soups I make regularly. It’s really simple and easy, and super nutritious!
In this miso beetroot soup, I used miso paste as the soup base, but you can also use chicken stock, beef stock or vegetable stock as you like. Soup and salad are my go-to meals whenever I crave for something healthy and quick. Check out my salad recipes: Creamy Turkish feta cheese salad with sunny side up egg and olive toast, Summer salad with orange, avocado & pomegranate.
What is miso paste?
Miso means ‘fermented beans’ in Japanese and is a typical staple in Japanese cooking with its rich savory umami flavours. It’s a great source of antioxidants, protein and fibre. In Japan, miso produced in different regions will have a certain typical flavor, such as bean miso, wheat miso, barly miso, rice miso. In supermarkets, you will most likely find white miso, shiro miso, yellow miso, red miso. Personally I prefer the white miso as it’s not milder in taste compared to the others. You can use miso paste in soups, broths, stews, stir fry, marinade, or even salad dressing!
Watch my Miso Beetroot Soup recipe on YouTube
Ingredients are really simple. Beetroot and white onions for the main part. Japanese miso paste is used and because it’s salty in nature, there is no need to add any more salt, simply use black pepper for additional seasoning. It might take a bit of time for beetroot to soften when boiled. I used 2 beetroots, about 800 g and spent about 40 minutes boiling it until soft.
Pin this recipe to Pinterest
Like this recipe? Pin this recipe to Pinterest 😀
Miso Beetroot Soup
- 2 beetroots about 800g
- 1 white onion medium sized
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 4 tbsp cooking oil
- 4 cups water
- Black pepper season to taste
- Cut onion into small pieces.1 white onion
- Peel beetroot. Cut into smaller pieces.2 beetroots
- Heat cooking oil over medium fire. Add onions and saute until slightly caramelized. Then add beetroot and cook for about 3 minutes.4 tbsp cooking oil
- Add water and let it boil. Once boiled, let it simmer on low-medium heat for about 30-40 or until beetroot softened. Add miso and mix well. Let it simmer for another 3 minutes.4 cups water, 1 tbsp miso paste
- Turn off the heat. Use a hand blender to blend into smooth soup.
- Turn on low fire and add crushed black pepper, season to taste. Let it simmer for another minute.Black pepper
- Serve with warm bread and top with a tablespoon of sour cream and some crushed black pepper.