I always have all kinds of sauces and dips in my fridge and especially love making my own as I can control what I add into the recipe. This homemade tomato sauce is one of my regular recipes I make at home. I use it for pasta (especially loved Amatriciana pasta) most times, as well as lasagna, and meat ragu / meat sauce.
Making this homemade tomato sauce is very simple. Here’s a very easy to get ingredient list.
- 300g fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 15g fresh basil, chopped
- 800g chopped tin tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped finely
In case you wonder what kind of tinned tomatoes I used. I happened to see it in the supermarket, am I right to say since it’s from Italy, it shouldn’t be too bad? I usually like to use chopped tinned tomatoes, not the puree type, mostly because I can see the whole tomatoes soaked in water so I don’t have to think about what goes into the tin if it’s in puree form. These should be readily available in most supermarkets or grocery stores.
With this homemade tomato sauce, you can skip the jarred tomato sauce. I usually pour it into silicon muffin trays and place it in the freezer. So whenever I feel like using it, I’ll just pop some out (like ice cubes) and use it for cooking. However putting it in jars and in the fridge is just as fine.
For this batch that I’m making, I’m already scooping out half of it to make lasagna, which is another hit in my dinner party with my friends. Here’s a video reference of my recipe, feel free to add more fresh tomatoes or add herbs like cinnamon or oregano, if you fancy.
Interested in making Greek Tzatziki? Check out my recipe here.
Homemade tomato sauce
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 5 cloves garlic chopped finely
- 1 medium sized onion chopped finely
- 15 g fresh basil chopped
- 300 g fresh vine tomatoes chopped
- 800 g chopped tomatoes about 2 tins
- Heat oil in pan.
- Saute garlic and onions until onions start to caramelise.
- Add fresh tomatoes. Cook until tomatoes start to soften, you know when it's easy to crush them.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Stir well. Cook and let it boil slowly over simmering fire.
- Add chopped basil. Stir well. Cook and let it boil further over simmering fire.
- Add salt and pepper. Taste and adjust according to your taste.
- Turn off the fire. Blend evenly with hand blender into a smooth texture.