This Air Fried Soy Chicken recipe with potatoes is one of my to-go recipes when I have too many things to do on hand and expecting a dinner crowd whom I’m keen to impress and feed, especially my family. It takes just a quick preparation of the marinade, rub the marinade all over inside and out, chill it in the fridge, then pop into the air fryer. With just one go in the air fryer, I got the main and the sides potatoes done. All I need to do is to make some fresh vegetable salad in advance and chill it in the fridge until ready to serve.
Ever since I got my Ninja Max XL Air Fryer, getting food ready is really a breeze, not to mention I find it healthier as I do not need to use too much oil to cook it.
Watch My Air Fried Soy Chicken Recipe with Potatoes on YouTube
Here’re the ingredients I used:
- 1.5 kg free range chicken – You can cut the chicken into smaller pieces if you like but I prefer to keep it as a whole.
- 3 tbsp soy sauce – You can also substitute with oyster sauce, however as oyster sauce contains higher level of sugar, there might be caramelised bits after air frying.
- 1 tbsp sesame oil – This adds more aromatic flavours to the chicken.
- 1/2 tsp five spices powder – This spice mix really elevates the flavour of the chicken.
- 1/2 tsp white pepper – I love using the Sarawak white pepper.
- 6 cloves garlic and 1 knob blue ginger or normal ginger- These aromatics are gated to make the marinade.
- 500 g potatoes or other root vegetables – This is optional. I didn’t add any flavours since it’s sitting on the base of the chicken so all the juices from the chicken will nicely season the potatoes while air frying.
Air Fried Soy Chicken Recipe with Potatoes
- 1.5 kg chicken free range, internals removed
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp five spices powder
- ½ tsp white pepper
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 knob blue ginger or normal ginger
- 500 g Potatoes or other root vegetables (optional)
- Peel and grate ginger and garlic.6 cloves garlic, 1 knob blue ginger
- In a bowl, make the marinade by mixing grated ginger and garlic, white pepper, five spices powder, sesame oil, soy sauce into a marinade.3 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp sesame oil, 1/2 tsp five spices powder, 1/2 tsp white pepper, 6 cloves garlic, 1 knob blue ginger
- Rub marinade all over the chicken evenly, including under the folds and inside the cavity. Chill in fridge covered with a lid for at least 2 hours. Before air frying, take marinated chicken out from the fridge to bring to room temperature.1.5 kg chicken
- Pre-heat air fryer at 200 degree celsius for 3 minutes.
- Optional: peel and cut potatoes or any root vegetables such as carrots or sweet potatoes into pre-heated air fryer as the base.500 g Potatoes
- Place chicken into the air fryer, breast side down.
- Air fry at 200 degree celsius or 392 degree Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.
- Flip the chicken and toss the potatoes every 7-8 minutes to ensure even cooking.
- Ready to serve and enjoy!
Sharing this recipe with SouthernPlate.com.